Friday, June 30, 2006

How I became a deadhead Pt 2

Well I have been a bit slow getting this second section of the story up but I have been pretty busy. The good news is however that I am now on holidays for the next two weeks so I aim to be a bit more regular with this blog.

Getting back to the story I started to drift away from listening to the Dead around about 1979/80 although I always was aware in a vague kind of way of what was happening. I remember "Goes to Heaven" and "Shakedown Street" being released and actually reading reviews of them but I can't say I listened to those records. I was surprised when I heard that the guys had scored a top 5 hit with "A Touch of Gray"
I knew that the band still meant alot to me when I heard the news that Jerry had died, I read all the obituaries that I could find and I remember feeling shocked and that I had lost someone who meant something to me. When "Living with the Dead" by Rock Scully was published I purchased it immediately and read it in about two days. So even though I wasn't listening much to the band I certainly still was following their ups and downs.

I finally got right back into them in 2004 when I was recuperating from the removal of four wisdom teeth. I had sometime at home so I decided to visit a record store , I saw a greatest hits complimation got it and I was right back in there as a fan. Pretty soon I had discovered Deadnet, GDlive and LMA. Now surrounded by Dicks Picks and dl'ed shows I can't get enough of them. I listen to the music daily and its true to say they inspire me
all the time. So there it is for the moment, I hope to cover how I listen to the Dead in the next insalment.

6 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Your story parallels mine to a great extent. Last time I saw them live was 1982.

My favorite avatar of the Dead is with Keith and Donna, then pre-K&D. After that the Mydland years.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger John said...

Mark,
Thanks for the comment. Yeah my favourite period at the momment is Keith and Donna. I am currently listening to 04/23/1977 and I plan to write something about it in the future.I still have got to investigate the Myland years so I have all of this to look forward to.
Regards and thanks again for the comment.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Helen said...

about your eyes,

http://bornagaindeadhead.blogspot.com/2006/01/eyes-of-world.html

Mas Paz.............

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger John said...

Helen,
My eyes are blue.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Mark said...

No one asked me!!!
*SNIF*

LOL

Hey, John, let us know if there's any music you need!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger John said...

Mark,
I have heaps of gaps in my collection so I might take you up on your offer. Thanks for checking my blog out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home